There are days when I just don't feel like cooking, no one feels like waiting around for me to find something to eat, or there just isn't time for dinner...and the Golden Arches are just calling to my tummy that has been rumbling for three hours.
While I was pregnant, I vowed to myself that I would never, ever feed my child fast food. But, like basically everything else in my life, it hasn't been as easy as I thought before I actually had to do it. So, if I do have to hit up the drive-thru, I try to remain semi-health conscious and also frugal.
Tap water-If people are grossed out with tap water, and trust me, I work in fast food, some people are, it's the same damn water that is going into your large Diet Coke! It's filtered, it's good for you, and most importantly, it's free!
Grilled Chicken-Almost every fast food joint has grilled chicken. And while most of that is still loaded with salt, on average, the grilled chicken has about 150 less calories, about half the fat, and if hold the mayo, that subtracts an additional 100 or so calories. So, while you may not lose weight from eating a grilled chicken sandwich from McDonald's, you can get it down to around 350 calories, which isn't too bad.
Apple Dippers/Fries-Certainly not as tasty as regular fries, but your thighs will thank you later.
Salad-I find it hilarious when people order a salad with fried chicken and ranch dressing. Ken's Ranch Dressing has a whopping 31% of your daily value for total fat! You'd be better off slapping a gob of mayonnaise on the top of your salad! Go for the grilled chicken with light dressing, no cheese. Cheese is the devil.
Chicken Nuggets-Not good for you really at all, but if you go with the four piece for the kid, with the apple fries and a low fat milk, well, it could be worse. And the Happy Meal comes with a toy!
Hamburger-Again, not the best choice, but if you get it with no mayonnaise or cheese, a small hamburger is only 2 hundred and something calories. And most places sell them for under a dollar.
That's all for now. I'm starving...
No comments:
Post a Comment