Thursday, January 27, 2011

Having an Epiphany....Yay

I've had an epiphany that I really have no good advice for parents. I am just lost as anyone when it comes to raising children. I have been taking it one day at a time...and realized that I have many, many more questions than I do answers.

Maybe I should take a new approach. I am contemplating, just for now, making my blog full of questions that I don't know the answer to. Maybe I can get some advice from others out there, just for now. Because at the moment I am not feeling experienced enough to give others advice. I am only 24 years old, and have only been a parent for 19 months! I'm feeling incredibly underqualified.

My most recent issue that I am having as a parent to a toddler is the fact that I have let my son sleep in my bed since he was approximately 5 months old. My problem now, is not only the fact that he is so incredibly attached to me that he has a temper tantrum everytime I leave the room, but the fact that I couldn't imagine him sleeping in a seperate bed, much less a seperate room. (He's so cute when he's mad!) In fact, his room, which is painted green with an jungle theme with a brand new never used crib, is being used as our storage room. That's just one more excuse to keep him in our room.

I have read pros and cons of cosleeping. While I do believe that it causes attachment to the parents, is there really anything wrong with that at such a young age? While my son does have a fit everytime I leave, he is always fine immediately after, and it kind of gives me a good feeling, like I have done something right for him to want me all the time, right? On the other hand, if it doesn't stop soon, he will be a big boy who should be in a big boy bed. And I only have a queen size bed, and sometimes I would definitely like some alone time, which I basically never have.

Another problem is breastfeeding. I still (proudly) breast feed my son, I certainly didn't plan on it, but after a certain point it's just the norm. And, my son has a temper tantrum if he isn't allowed to breast feed. For people that think breast feeding a 19 month old is weird, go here. It's not something I go parading around, but I am pro-breastfeeding, and I think that Americans need to warm up to the fact that breastfeeding your toddler isn't weird, just because that's how our society views it.

But, back to the point. Whenever my son wakes up, he wants to breastfeed. It has become so easy to just have him in the bed. I understand that I will have to wean him to get him out of the bed, because he is just too attached physically and emotionally. I think I also put it off because at the end of the day, I am usually so exhausted that I would just like to sleep, and having my son in my bed is the just the easiest thing to do at the end of the day. That is just laziness on my part, but I feel like I have an excuse. I'm tired, darnit.

Anyway, I've ranted enough. I hope I have come up with a few ideas for my next blog. Or, I could just complain some more. I haven't decided yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment